In military terminology, a picket, (archaic form piquet Afrikaans piket), refers to soldiers or troops placed in a line forward of a position to warn against an enemy advance.  This then was the beginnings of Piketberg, formed as a defensive barrier in 1673. Discover historic Piketberg by following this route through town.


Download / Print the Broshure Here


1. Dutch Reformed Church
In April 1880 work commenced on the building of the church designed by Carl Otto Hager, an architect responsible for ten other churches in the Cape Colony.  The Neo-Gothic design was built the Table Mountain sandstone, which was excavated in the mountain to the west of the town.  It replaced an earlier thatch-roofed building and cost approximately £7 500,00 (R15 000,00).  The interior boasts a beautiful, hand crafted pulpit carved from imported wood from India as well as Yellowwood and Oregon pine.

 

Address: Kerk Street
GPS: S32.9065, E 018.75319

Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing by appointment ONLY.
Contact: Juliana Engelbrecht on 072 476 2317

 




2. No 5 Church Street
Built in 1906 for commercial purposes, this beautifully ornate building has four shops on the lower level and accommodation on the upper level. Much of the ornamental ironwork that had corroded over time, has since been successfully restored to its original glory. Feel free to visit 'Clari' for unique homemade gifts and 'Dis Owlik' bakery to satisfy your sweet tooth.

 

Address: 5 Kerk Street
GPS: S 32.90597, E 018.75272
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing Mon-Fri 09:00 to 17:00

 




3. Hotel in Church Street
Built as the 'Commercial Hotel' in 1895, its doors were opened to the public in 1898. Most of the original fittings and furniture were ordered per catalogue from England and delivered to Piketberg via ox wagon. During the Anglo Boer War (1899 - 1902) the hotel was mainly used as accommodation for Brittish soldiers stationed in town. The hotel has 11 rooms, four of which are en-suite and it is continuously being renovated and improved.


Address: 1 Kerk Street (Main Entrance in Hoog Street)
GPS: S 32.90604, E 018.7526
Access: Exterior viewing only. All hours.

 


 



4. 16 - 18 Main Street-Katzeff House
One of the earliest houses built in Piketberg, 16 - 18 Main Street belonged to the Katzeff family for many years. The house was built in 1844 and is thought to have been the first boarding house in Piketberg. From 1894 until 1904, it was  owned by Mr. William Parrot and was subsequently know as the Parrot house.  Considerably altered during the late Victorian period, the house still held true to its original essence and became the Katzeff house in 1937 when Jacob and Sonia Katzeff purchased the property.

Address: cnr Hoof & Monument Street
GPS:
S 32.90697, E 018.75325
Access: Exterior viewing only. Private Property.

 


 

 

5. Police Station
Originally built in 1926, the building has retained its classical façade despite successive modernizations of the Police Station behind it. The exact date which the Piketberg Police Force was formed, remains unknown but as printed in the Piketberg Herold, 8 March 1929, the station received a new officer, Mr. Bresler Jr, who would be responsible for night foot patrols as wel as a second hand car from provincial government.

Address: Voortrekker Street
GPS: S 32.90618, E 018.75490
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing please report to reception.

 


 


 

6. Sheriff's Office (Balju)
Built around the same time as the Police Station opposite in 1926, the main function of the Sheriff’s Office was to deliver messages to and from the Court.

Address: 63 Voortrekker Street
GPS: S 32.90588, E 018.75500
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing only during office hours

 


 

 

7. Bioscope (Old Bio)
Built in the early 1920s as one of the first cinemas in the area, the Old Bio (Ou Bioskoop) was a central part of the town’s entertainment. Throughout the years, the building has been privy too not only the bioscope, but also a dance hall, boxing arena and many more. Unfortunately, the building was damaged in a fire some years ago but is currently undergoing repairs and the Bio Café is now open for fresh coffee and cake for all visitors.


 

Address: 47 Voortrekker Street
GPS: S 32.90481, E 018.75472
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing by arrangement.
Contact: Sir Cobis Wilson on 022-913 1368 (for meals as well)

 



 


 

8. Piquet Hill and Coach House
Piquet Hill and the plot it stands on, was transferred to the first Magistrate and Civil Commissioner of Piketberg, (1848 to 1854), Captain John Montgomery Hill from the Dutch reform Church on 9th February 1953. It was subsequently divided into three separate tenants’ dwellings after being sold in 1860 to M.C. Fick. The plot has exchanged hands many times in the past decade, and has most recently been reverted to a one-family home and largely restored.

The Coach House (situated behind Piquet Hill) was converted from what was originally a wagon shed as part of the above larger property. Although exact dates are uncertain, it was most likely built in the early 1920’s.

 

Piquet Hill
Address: 12 Waterkant Street
GPS: S 32.90200, E 018.75424
Access: Exterior viewing only. All hours. Private property.

Coach House
Address:
18 Waterkant Street
GPS: S 32.90200, E 018.75412
Access: Exterior viewing only. All hours. Private property.

 


 


 

9. Piketberg Museum
The building that houses the museum was built based on Edwardian architecture in the 1920's and all the furnishings date back to the same period. The museum is a replica of a homestead in the early 20th century and families in and around Piketberg donated all the artifacts.

One specific room is dedicated to the attacks on Piketberg during the Anglo Boer War (1899 - 1902) which took place on 13 October and 7 November 1901 as well as an archive room where students and interested parties can page through a collection of books and research materials regarding the area and the people that lived here. For more information, please visit www.piketbergmuseum.co.za


Address: 12 Kerk Street
GPS: S 32.90587, E 018.75541
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing hours Mon - Fri 09h00 to 14h00

 




 

10. Old Synagogue
Built in 1922 by Lodewyk Ando Simon, a Hungarian immigrant, the building follows the style of the similar synagogue situated in Malmesbury. The building is a reflection of the role that the Jewish community played in the development of Piketberg during the early part of the 20th Century. Today Piketberg’s Jewish community has dispersed throughout the world and none of the original merchant families remains.

The Synagogue now belongs to the Municipality and is part of the Museum complex, which houses an award-winning exhibition on the history of the Bergrivier area, from the first pre-historic findings to current day agriculture
.

 

Address: 14 Kerk Street
GPS: S 32.90594, E 018.75573
Access: Exterior viewing all hours. Interior viewing Mon - Fri 08h30 to 13h00 and 14h00 to 17h00; Saturdays 10h00 to 13h00

 


 



11. Mission Church
On 13 July 1903, the Dutch Reform Mission Church was established after the white congregation insisted that the non-white members of the church have their own building. The first minister was Reverend George Enslin and serving as Deacons were Willem Daniels, David Abrahams and Pieter Erasmus.

The church building itself was erected in 1908, first photographed by Ravenscroft in 1910. These photographs in comparison prove that very little alterations have been made to the building in the last decade.

 

Address: cnr Kerk and Loop Street
GPS: S 32.90561, E 018.75936
Access: Exterior viewing only. All hours.

 


 


 

12. Historical Graveyard
The ground on which the graveyard was built, was originally financed by Mr. Lewis Laurie, the chairman of the Jewish Graveyard Fellowship. On 6 December 1903, according to the minutes taken at their Sunday meeting, he was fully reimbursed for this purchase.

The Jewish graveyard was the first graveyard in Piketberg and has more than 125 gravestones, of which many are unmarked. Approximately 35 belong to Jewish families while most date back to the 19th century and include many original family’s graves. You can also find graves belonging to soldiers who fought during the Anglo Boer War. The keys to the graveyard are available at the Piketberg Museum.

 

Address: Die Trek Street
GPS: S 32.90894, E 018.75545
Access: Collect key from Piketberg Museum Mon - Fri 09h00 to 14h00

 



Map